Sunday, November 29, 2009

mid semester: 2nd piece and 3rd work in progress



I believe my paintings are developing most prominently in the areas of color, brushstroke, and handling of the background. Many of my paintings take on a similar color palette regardless of the subject matter. I want the colors to lend themselves to the topic rather that just stand as a random choice. This, in turn, aided my handling of the background in that it allowed me to simplify the surrounding areas with the use of a more saturated singular color scale so that more of the focus was on the figure. I also tended to get caught up in using the same brush for almost the entire painting. I feel that I successfully used many different brushes which allowed me to vary my stokes more freely.
I still need to work on concept. Several people expressed during critique that they were uncertain of the message, seeing my piece as no more than a random portrait. I am beginning to realize that challenges of being a portrait artist... Is an inaccessible face or figure all there really is too it for the viewer? I internalize a great amount of feeling for the subjects that I depict, which in turn feeds my expression and spontaneity on the canvas. However, I do not feel that the reasons I paint these individuals is coming across. Perhaps, I am truly painting these portraits for myself, but my goal is still to bring to light an element of each individual that I paint.
I am challenging myself with a full-body-self-portrait for my final piece. I have never intentionally painted a self portrait before. There is a strong part of me that wants to portray my subjects highly accurately, but there is also a part of me that finds photo realism uninteresting. I have been attempting to stray from depending on photography as my source material and try painting from life. At this point, my frustration has reached an all time high, as I try to paint myself from life. So far I have whited out my face four times trying to create an accurate depiction of myself. I am trying to expand the realm of portraiture by not simply painting a classical strait forward image of myself, but I am continuing to struggle with the elements that will show aspect of my personality. So far I think the incorporation of the full body is a new and interesting direction. I will continue to work on the background and the face...

No comments: