Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Assignment 3: PaintersNYC

Elizabeth Peyton

Some critics consider Peyton's loose brush stroke to be an excuse to avoid "mistakes" in her process. By not fully rendering accurate and photorealistic portraits of her subjects some feel she is being lazy or avoiding a time consuming process.  Another critic defends Peyton's work by saying that her paintings do not seem unskilled at all, but that sometimes less is more in a painting. I have struggled with this idea myself. I stray from highly rendering my paintings because I enjoy the freedom of spontaneous brushstrokes. Another critic mentions that sometimes exploration is what makes a successful painting. The individual goes on to explain that it is when the artist is unsatisfied with their work or surroundings that forces them to develop into a more rounded artist. This is the direction that I am going in currently and hope to continue reaching new levels. 

No comments: